Inpatient Services Patient Care Technician - PCT
Posted on: September 17, 2023
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functions as part of the hemodialysis health
care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for
assigned patients in accordance with FMCNA policies, procedures,
and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the
corporation, state, and federal agencies.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
- Provides patient care under the direct visual supervision of a
Registered Nurse (FMCNA RN) or in a treatment room immediately
adjacent to an RN. Responsible for reporting and documenting all
new and unusual incidents, information, complaints, or problems to
- Promotes and assists in the maintenance of a safe and clean
working environment. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality
Enhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and Performance
Improvement (QAI) Activities; including those related to patient
satisfaction and actively participates in process improvement
activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve
the FMC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP). - -
- -Promotes and assists in meeting Total Area Productivity goals
- With documented competency and proficiency may set up and prime
equipment as directed by the Fresenius Nurse for renal replacement
therapies (hemodialysis, continuous renal replacement and
peritoneal dialysis therapies).
- Welcomes assigned patients and inquires as to their well-being
since their last treatment. Reports any complaints or observations
to the FMCNA RN.
- Evaluates vascular access for patency and reports any unusual
findings to FMCNA RN.
- Obtains necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and
weight. Reports unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- -(Stated above)Performs vascular access cannulation and reports
any difficulties in cannulation or unusual findings to FMCNA
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled
including narrow venous limits (NVL 160).
- Records accurate and timely information regarding vital signs
and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
- Initiates renal replacement treatment according to prescribed
orders including setting blood flow rate (QB) and dialysate flow
rate (QD) or peritoneal dialysis as prescribed by the attending
- Collects, labels specimens and ensures timely delivery to
laboratory per facility policy.
- Evaluates intradialytic problems and provides intervention as
prescribed by physician's order or as directed by FMCNA RN.
Monitors patient's response to dialysis therapy and report any
unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Obtains vital signs prior to reinfusion; performing all
relevant functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment-
- Reports any change or unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Performs and document any intervention for unusual patient
status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluates patients' vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provides appropriate
intervention as needed, documents and reports any unusual findings
to the FMCNA RN.
- Discontinues dialysis treatment according to established
- Evaluates patient prior to termination of venous access -
standing and sitting blood pressures prior to termination of venous
access. Obtains hemostasis and applies appropriate dressings.
Evaluates the patient prior to discharge and reports any unusual
findings to the FMCNA RN
- Performs and records Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight
and vital signs with initial identification.
- Other duties as required.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. - Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Day-to-day work includes desk and personal computer work,
interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
- The position requires travel between assigned -facilities and
various locations within the community. (percentage of travel)
- Travel to meetings may be required. -
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care
facility with air temperature control and moderate noise
- May be exposed to infectious and contagious
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly
involves heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assisting with
ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide
- This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing
and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may
occasionally be required to assist in moving machines and equipment
of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and water solutions of up
to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet.
- There is a two-person assist program and material assist -
devices for the heavier items.EDUCATION: High School Diploma
required -EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS: -
- 1 - 2 years' related experience.
- Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Certification (CCHT)
Identity -Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a
drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state
Keywords: FRESENIUS, Albuquerque , Inpatient Services Patient Care Technician - PCT, Professions , Albuquerque, New Mexico
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!