CROSS CATEGORICAL SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER (SY 2021-22)
JOB STATUS: OPEN
POSTING NUMBER: 00044575
SCHOOL YEAR: 2021-2022
POSTING NUMBER: 00044575
LOCATION: 207:ALAMEDA ES
POSITION TITLE: CROSS CATEGORICAL SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER (SY
Teaches by creating a flexible program and an environment
favorable to learning and personal growth; by encouraging students
to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to obtain a good
foundation for continuous growth and development; by providing
students with experiences which integrate the affective, cognitive
and psychomotor dimensions of learning; by establishing effective
rapport with students and their parents; by assisting students in
developing positive feelings toward themselves and others.
Incumbent must achieve the following outcomes with or without
* Cooperates in the development and implementation of the
district program of instruction.
* Plans and implements a program of study that, as much as
possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of
students and complies with State Department of Education Standards
and the APS Board of Education goals and objectives and individual
student IEP plans if appropriate.
* Guides the learning process toward the achievement of
curriculum goals. Establishes clear objectives for all lessons,
assignments, units and projects in harmony with curriculum goals
and communicates the objectives to students.
* Employs instructional methods and materials that are most
appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
* Establishes and maintains standards of appropriate student
behavior and discipline as prescribed in the school handbook and
IEP plans of each student and to achieve a functional learning
atmosphere in the classroom and assists in its maintenance
* Evaluates the learning progress of students on a regular
* Prescribes effective learning programs and initiates referrals
to appropriate personnel when concerns arise.
* Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis
and provides progress reports as required.
* Administers standardized tests in accordance with the district
* Establishes and maintain open lines of communication with
students and parents concerning students' academic, social and
* Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning
and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
* Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at
the times designated.
* Selects and requests appropriate books and instructional
materials and maintains required inventory records.
* Provides directions and materials for substitute teachers.
Plans for and supervises classroom aides, guests and volunteers and
directs the activities of assigned classroom Educational
* Cooperates with staff and support personnel in assessing and
helping students with health, attitude, learning and behavioral
* Participates in all IEP meetings and ensures the educational
goals of the IEP are met in the classroom.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
The minimum expectations for this job are as follows:
* Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Flexibility, organization, decision making and problem solving
* Interpersonal skills with diverse populations in-person and on
* Knowledge of APS community, computer system, financial
procedures, and legal requirements.
* Ability to meet deadlines, work on multiple projects, and
coordinate the work of others.
* Knowledge of district policies on immunization, medication,
first aid, emergencies and child abuse/neglect.
* Knowledge of all laws, regulations and guidelines affecting
teachers and students.
* Knowledge of effective classroom management techniques.
* Ability to maintain positive relationships with students,
parents, community members and staff.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE: The minimum requirements for this job
are as follows:
* Bachelor's degree.
* Current New Mexico teaching certificate endorsed in the
area(s) to be taught.
Contact: Anna Chavez at / firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLY ONLINE: WWW.APS.EDU, APS Jobs, Certified Application.
In addition to providing supporting documents to meet the
position requirements, you must also submit an updated cover letter
START DATE: August 4, 2021