Computing Infrastructure Engineer (Experienced) Limited Term Employee
Company: Sandia National Laboratories
Posted on: November 21, 2020
We are seeking a Computer Infrastructure Engineer to fulfill a
unique role in a center that administers High Performance Computing
clusters, Machine Learning (ML) systems, and Scientific Computing
DevOps infrastructure. The position entails cross-training among
teams dedicated to the various architectures to support all
platforms and develop more integrated infrastructures and
operations methodologies.The successful candidate will:
- Support existing teams in all aspects of the compute system
lifecycle including facility integration, standup, acceptance
testing, performance benchmarking, operational support, and
- Maintain all system aspects of security, networks, filesystems,
system software installation, and user support.
- Support existing teams in the operations of a variety of
compute subsystems including tape libraries and file
- Build and maintain single node and small systems supporting
Virtual Machines (VMs) and Containers dedicated to software
developers and regression testing.
- Work on both long-term system support projects and short-term
as-needed roles for a variety of diverse projects
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering,
Information Systems Engineering or relevant STEM field plus 5
years' experience, or thirteen years' relevant experience.
- Four years experience managing Linux operating systems in a
multi-user environment, including hardware and software setup,
installation, upgrades, testing and troubleshooting
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q security clearance
- Familiarity with basic shell scripting
- Experience installing clusters (initial
racking/cabling/diagnosing hardware issues)
- Intermediate knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- Experience troubleshooting and replacing hardware, including
DIMMs, disks, network cables, etc.
- Experience with Linux containers and related technologies
- Experience with Virtual Machine technologies
- Cloud experience (Openstack, Azure Stack, AWS)
- Scripting experience (Shell, Python, PERL, or any other
- Knowledge of one or more storage systems hardware components
(e.g. SpectraLogic or Oracle robotics, Oracle/IBM tape drives,
NetApp RAID, QLogic HBAs, direct-attach fiber).
- Experience administrating windows and mac environments
- Current DOE Q Security Clearance
- Ability to acquire and maintain a SCI security clearance
Center 9320, Computing Systems and Technology Integration, spans
research, development and production activities for the systems,
operations, and user support for Sandias scientific simulations.
9320 administers production and prototypeHigh Performance Computing
architectures, Machine Learning (ML) systems, and Scientific
Computing DevOps infrastructure. They provide advanced support to a
wide user base in the forms of performance analysis, DevOps
support, and Machine Learning as a Service (MLaaS). 9320 is both a
purveyor and consumer of its own capabilities, using its platforms
and experience to drive developments for its own system management
and user support. Candidates may be hired under this posting to one
or more of the 9320 departments: Scientific and Engineering
Computing Environments (9321), Information Systems Engineering
(9322), HPC Systems (9327), HPC Development (9328).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nations premier science and
engineering lab for national security and technology innovation,
with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad
array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to
security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other
benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation
assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers._ Learn more
about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and
background review that includes checks of personal references,
credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education
verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain
and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S.
citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the
U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security
clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal
background investigation to meet the requirements for access to
classified information or matter if the duties of the position
require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug
use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious
misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a
clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the
inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran
status and any other protected class under state or federal
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position
for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up
to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as
internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular
career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing
operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and
satisfactory job performance.
Keywords: Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque , Computing Infrastructure Engineer (Experienced) Limited Term Employee, Engineering , Albuquerque, New Mexico
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!